Tuesday 11 August 2009

Swine Flu


How quickly things change. I no longer need to worry about what Maya will wear for her Independence Day fancy dress competition on friday because there will be no fancy dress competition. Literally twenty minutes after I'd finished writing Maya's blog the day before yesterday, we received a call from her school to say that they would be closed for the rest of the week (tuesday to friday) as a 'precauation' against swine flu. Yes, swine flu panic has well and truly hit Bangalore and whilst there have been confirmed cases, as far as I'm aware there have been no fatalaties as a result - just a huge amount of confusion.

When I told Maya yesterday morning that she wouldn't be going to shcool, I underestimated her - I thought she'd just assume it was the weekend again come early, but in fact she was well aware that we'd just had a weekend, looked at me highly suspiciously and said in a demanding voice 'Why not?' Hmm...I wasn't quite sure how much detail to go into with a three year old but whilst I was pondering this, she was off, whizzing around the apartment on her scooter (see photo) and didn't seem at all bothered suddenly that she was missing out on school. I know she really enjoys herself at school now, but Maya is aware that there are benefits to staying at home. A large one is that I try to do some writing every day (I'm attempting to get a first draft of my novel completed before we leave India...hmm....) which means Deepa will look after her and Maya has Deepa wrapped around not just her little finger but every finger she has. As soon as I had retreated to my room, no sooner had I closed the door than I heard her saying in her best little I'm-a-hungry-orphan-child-voice saying 'Deeeeee-pa, can I have a biscuit? Actually, two. Can I have two?' Yes, I think Maya will be fine at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment