Monday 22 June 2009

Role Reversal


Before I write this post, I'd like to point out that many of the taxi drivers in Bangalore are very pleasant, competent men. But today I had a big old run in with a taxi driver. Hmmm... so much for my switch from rickshaws to taxis keeping my blood pressure low...It got me so hot under the collar that when we were deposited from the taxi, obscenities being shouted after me, I must've looked like I was about to lose the plot. Because as we stood on the roadside, my face as red as a chilli, Maya kissed my hand several times and and said 'Don't worry, don't worry, everything's going to be alright.' I nodded up and down and thought yes, you're right, I must keep this in perspective. It wasn't until later on that I realised what a bizarre role reversal we'd fallen into, with my three year old daughter effectively telling me to calm down!

To treat Maya for her thoughtfulness (and to help calm her Mama's frayed nerves), we went on an immediate hunt for cake and ended up at a place we've been to several times. As we walked through the door they gave us that Oh no, not you look. And I can't say that I blame them in the slightest, because each time we've been, we've succeeded in transforming a genteel, clean and tidy little cafe into a complete mess with crumbs/cake/juice/spilt tea/puke all over the chairs/table/floor/wall/ceiling/waiters. Sigh. Sometimes I wonder if I'm fit to be mother to two small children. Nevertheless, one large chocolate muffin later, I felt much better and Maya led me by the hand back out on to the crazy streets of Bangalore.

ps - The family photo above was not taken today. Today, my face was as red as the headscarf I am wearing.

3 comments:

  1. Ah, the chocolate muffin. It can transform any situation and make things look totally different. Good for Maya, calming you down, too. Kids are great. Most of the time ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi

    We are following up on our invitation to you to sign up as a OI Mystery Shopper. Is there any specific question you have or any doubt that we could clarify for you? www.sassieshop.com/2eyp is the login website. In case of any difficulties signing up, give us a call on +919769781001 or shoot us an email at support@onioninsights.com.
    Hoping to hear from you soon.


    Regards,
    OI Team – Mumbai

    ReplyDelete